Tuesday, May 15, 2012

CNBC Originals: The Facebook Obsession

This is a poorly made documentary. 

Facebook is an all consuming monster. It devours all your free time and is incredibly addictive. It seems like everyone in the world uses it, but I know a couple of people who are not and I definitely envy them.

Social networking sites can be a black hole that sucks up all your time, energy and determination to get anything constructive completed. But, they can also help promote your band/project (*ahem!*) and you can catch up on funny or interesting things your friends are currently interested in that you might not talk too much about in person. That brings up yet another issue I have with Facebook is how it blurs the lines between your "friends" and your friends. You see, on my profile, I have 450 something friends. I'm not even sure how many of those people I actually know in person. Some of them I added (or they added me) because I thought they seemed like a neat person, or I liked their band, or what they stood for. I'm afraid to talk to people in person anyway (I'm shy!), so I probably wouldn't go up to them and say, "hey, I liked that You Tube video you posted the other day". The social networking concept is fairly young, maybe 10 to 15 years old, so I think we're all trying to grasp how it affects our "real lives". I think MySpace was much better anyway when Tom ran the site and it didn't totally crash your computer.
                            








No comments:

Post a Comment